Gurhal - A documentary

Today I went through my blog editing and updating it and I realized that I haven't uploaded my first ever serious documentary here. This Documentary earned me many compliments on film making at the start of my career.
Its a documentary on a traditional Jaggery making factory from Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India.




I love travelling and roaming around anywhere I can reach. One day me and my two friends set out with my Handycam just to shoot out the beautiful nature that surrounds Kolhapur. On the road I saw this GURHAL and it struck me in my mind to see exactly how it works. I had the camera and so we decided to make a documentary on it.
Everything is done ON THE SPOT. NO planning, no Pre Production, no storyboarding, no script. I shot all the sequences and directed as and how it came to my mind. My friend tanmay did the hosting and Yogesh provided a back support (eating Jaggery) . We had excellent interactions with the workmen and were treated marvelously.
I can never forget their excitement of being in the camera. they were frequently asking that are they gonna be seen on TV. I told them this is a student project but I don't think they got very much out of it. They were still happy.
I did the editing in one day and we did the voice recording and synching in a night. Great experience.
It is a film we did in the very start of my career. too many improvements to do, but still it is a benchmark for me and I am proud to show this to you all. It is in Marathi language. Sorry for that but the villagers don't know any other language so we had to speak in Marathi.
hope you will enjoy this sweet journey through sugarcanes.

2 comments:

TANMAY said...

WOW! This documentary was a great start for us. Sometimes I just whish to spent my life creating great stuff like 'GURHAL'!

In future we will for sure!

Nostalgic!

Nilabh said...

We will for sure!